Background Investigations and Screening
All program/activity staff, including volunteers, who will have direct contact with minors must undergo background checks (including sex offender registry check) in accordance with the Human Resources Administrative Practice Manual (HRAP).
Pursuant to record retention requirements under the Policy, Program Administrators shall maintain in their program/activity files a verification the background investigation was performed.
UGA Program/Activity Background Investigation:
- Background checks are subject to the University of Georgia Background Investigation policy: http://policies.uga.edu/Human-Resources/Employment/Employment-processes/Background-investigations/. All University employees who will have direct contact with minors and who were hired prior to implementation of the Background Investigation Policy must undergo a background investigation prior to working with minors.
- Download and complete the UGA Consent for Background Investigation form http://busfin.uga.edu/forms/bi_request.pdf.
- Submit your completed background form through your unit's HR Business Representative. If you do not know your unit's HR rep or do not have one, you can submit directly to:
The University of Georgia
Associate Vice President for Human Resources
215 S. Jackson Street
4. Allow at least fourteen days for background investigations to be completed.
- If you have questions or need assistance with this process, contact UGA Human Resources by calling 706-542-7341.
Third Party Program/Activity Background Investigation:
The University of Georgia Human Resources Office does not conduct background checks on third parties. Third parties working with minors using UGA facilities must ensure all of their program/activity staff are background checked in compliance with the Policy. As a condition of utilizing University facilities, third parties are required to certify that they have performed background checks on program/activity staff which would, at a minimum, satisfy HRAP requirements.
Background investigations shall include, at a minimum, the following checks:
- A state and federal criminal history check covering a minimum of seven (7) years.
- A nationwide sex offender search.
- A social security number check using the Form I-9 and the federal E-Verify system.
- A credit check for positions that have access to financial resources such as handling money, checks, purchasing cards, etc.
If any third party organizations have questions about the background check requirements, please contact:
Jim Geiser, firstname.lastname@example.org, 706-542-7341 (w)